Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Comic History- The Early Years

During summers when I was a little girl I went to my grandmothers every day. Thursdays were grocery days. The only way I wouldn't have to walk through every blessed aisle and look at every canned good on sale was to go to the magazine rack and their impressive collection of comics.

Everything you could imagine was there. Just remember it was late 70's early 80's. Every week I looked at Batman, Justice League, Wonderwoman... Oh and the occasional Richie Rich and Sabrina the Teenaged Witch but lets not go there. About every other week or so Gram would buy me one. My next opportunity would be Mom. I scoped them out with my Gram and picked the ones I really, really wanted with the Moms. More often than not she would refuse me my 50 cents on the logic that comics were for boys. She was more than willing to buy me Barbie clothes with I also played with. Comic books? Not so much.

When Wonderwoman was brought to the small screen my mother relented for that one character. Being a feminist she saw the value of Wonder Woman. Strong, intelligent and beautiul. She decided this was an ok role model for me. She even made me a kick-butt WW Halloween costume one year. Sadly, no pics exist.

One of the big bummers of my life was a flood in the basement where I kept my comics. All of my few precious comics had to be thrown out. This was long before most people thought to bag and board. We didn't have the money to try and replace them and frankly I was so bummed just to look at books made me sad.

This is not a sad ending. I jut didn't want this to be a mile long blog. Tomorrow I finish the story.

No comments: