Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Comic History-The later Years

Three years ago I met my husband. It was one of those things that just turned out right. When we were in that get-to-know-you phase we started talking about comics. I told him about my fascination with Wonder Woman. He told me nearly the entire history of the Marvel Universe. I listened. I absorbed some of it. What I didn't know was that this was the beginning of our own personal Marvel/DC rivalry.

The first year we were together I travelled quite a bit and I began picking up Wonder Woman at the bookstores. I started getting into it again. Next was JLA. In the store I would pick up X-men or Amazing Spiderman. I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't until I moved in and Jack handed me "Powers." Oh, dear god! What amazing writing. Brian Michael Bendis rocks! I like reading in general and I had not read such engaging stories in a long time.

Slowly I turned. How do you get a DC Girl to read Marvel? Put amazing writers on a book. Joss Whedon and Astonishing X-Men. Brian Michael Bendis and just about anything he writes. Although I still can't get into Ultimate Spiderman. I am also now a big fan of Geoff John. I think "Green Latern Rebirth" is amazing.

Here I am now with my husband. Comic book day is a family outing. He has to wait for me to go and look. I have now read nearly all my books and already I can't wait for next Wednesday


Cheers

1 comment:

Gothknits said...

hey woman...welcome